Where Am I?! {Sedona, Arizona}


So.  ....

I don't know where to begin so I'll start at the beginning which is somehow in the middle yet at the end of the last post - 2 months and 2 weeks ago - it somehow feels longer then that, while at the same time the day before yesterday. Time and space are not what they used to be, but I'm staying well grounded considering all that has past. So...

As I was nearing Santa Barbara I get the sense ("thought-feeling") that something is about to happen to my motorcycle; something that will inhibit it's ability to drive. Sure enough, just as the sun is beginning to set, I lose all power to my Dark Horse and coast for about a hundred yards as I allow the most comfortable space with the most space cushion; I hardly question or even get upset as I look down at the tachometer that reads "111" - this affirms to me that I am still at the perfect place at the perfect time (as always); another story entirely of my experience with 1's in sequence. I get off the bike to find that just the chain has come off; I try to put it back on like a bicycle but it becomes quickly obvious I need a couple bigger tools (and the know how). I wave at oncoming traffic and not 30 seconds later a man pulls over who's a motorcycle hobbyist and had exactly the tools we need. Amazing. We get the chain back on but then the motorcycle won't start. Can't figure it out. Eventually it decides to live again. The incredibly helpful and supportive man decides he'll drive behind me until I make it to Santa Barbara about 13 miles down the road. As I begin riding, a regular clicking of the chain tells me that something is still not right. I pull over. We adjust. Begin riding again; still clicking. Pull over, adjust, ride, more clicking. Now the sun has set and the last light is here. The man encourages me just to ride and see if I can make it to a shop; since we have done everything two inexperienced motorcycle mechanics can do. So I ride and get to a fast enough pace that the clicking feels like it is the softest click possible; and onward comes the second longest 13 miles I've ever ridden. As I begin to come into Santa Barbara I realize that I have lost sight of my only friend in the world and then suddenly the chain clicking becomes quickly louder and then SNAP!! I barely see it fall off of my bike in my rear view mirror and am again coasting to the best possible place I can see; fortunately an off ramp with a nice big shoulder. I, like the chain, am now at my breaking point as well. I park, get off the bike, look down to affirm what I already know, chain's gone, it's dark, I don't know where I am; somewhere in or around Santa Barbara. My friend finds me. I decide I need a place to stay or at least some wireless internet (I have not cell phone service); my friend will not host me, but he will take me and all my stuff to a Star Bucks just about a mile away. I take everything I own and put it in the back of his car, walk my bike to a street lamp post, chain it up and pray it's still there when I return. My friend affirms my hopes and graciously takes me to where I need to go. We get to the Star Bucks, unload all my stuff, put the stuff in the back patio, and I am on the internet calling for assistance without missing a beat. Funny how the times we'd like to worry most, we simply have no time to.

So I send out a facebook distress signal and get on couch surfing and begin sending out requests for help. Not 20 minutes later I have someone accepting my couch request AND THEN a flow artist friend of mine offering to drive two hours to my location to pick up me and the motorcycle AND her boyfriend is a motorcycle mechanic. The blessing, it seems, can only be found beside its equal curse. Still I am stunned, amazing, grateful, relieved and PISSED. God knows what I spoke of on facebook that night but it felt good to write with fury and relief all rolled up into a pointless and maniacal post (which I believe was it's overal theme actually). I also contact all people I had sent out requests to affirm that I no longer needed assistance; I even had one other person offer me his space. Three people came to help in no time; I am ASTOUNDINGLY GRATEFUL FOR TECHNOLOGY.

Beth and her boyfriend Kyle arrive as stated, 2 hours later - I am amazed; this is a flow artist friend that I had met twice while I had persisted in creating a "spin jam" at Middle Rogue Farm in Grants Pass two years prior. We collect everything and drive to her place; in the middle of feeling and speaking all my gratitude, I fall asleep sitting up.

I don't recall the exact order of events, but I reside in Lancaster, California for the next 7 Days while I await the parts I need and decide to get two new tires that are also needed. My funds are almost depleted and I must sell the very last of the inheritance I received from my Grandmother passing (and my Mother passing, leaving the funds to be split between my brother and I back in 2004). I now have just around $130 left and two choices, take the leap of faith and continue to Sedona, Arizona or play it safe and return to Oregon to save and try try again... again. During my final days in Lancaster, I discover that there is a Yoga Festival happening in Sedona; though I have not the money to attend something tells me I will attend if I go. All but two people who actually give me any sort of affirmation tell me to go, and the two that say don't I plainly wouldn't listen to under any other circumstance anyway; so I take the leap of faith with practically 100% assurance that I will be more than alright. I hit the road for Sedona and am feeling freer every mile I ride.

The all day ride of 475 miles was very smooth and affirming; new tires, new chain, open skies and open desert. I make it to Williams, Arizona and am surprised to find snow; and quite a bit of it. In case you don't know as I didn't, Northern Arizona is a high desert with elevations as low as 4,000 feet to as high as 7,000 feet WHERE THE CITIES ARE. So I bundle up, get a baring on the only place in Sedona I know to go, the Aumbase, where a potential couch surfing host says to meet me at.

It gets dark before I begin heading down into the canyon; I had seen a few pictures of Sedona and knew I was in for a visual treat, but for now all I could see were the unique skylines and stars above them. As I began down the extremely winded highway that plummeted thousands of feet in elevation in a matter of miles I get some very strange and all together unique sensations that I had never had before. It was as if thoughts themselves were being moved around inside my head; even out of my head perhaps. I discovered later that this was the beginning of the well renowned multi-vortex energy Sedona is simultaneous famous and infamous for. Much Magic is here; I am not frightened, though I am far from at ease. I'm tired and it seems this may be my first night I will be sleeping outside.

I arrive at Aumbase, with little trouble yet I am rapidly aware that my acute sense of direction is really being thrown for a loop; like this would be a place birds wouldn't know which way to go for the winter. I enter and explain a little of myself to the girl behind the counter; and as I mention the Yoga festival, she gets very excited and asks if I'd like to become an "Angel Ambassador" - I am pleased to agree and to discover that the primary people who are putting it on are the very first people I am meeting in Sedona; one of the head guys Mark even has his own long distance KLR riding experiences to share (perhaps at some point in the future still). So I'm in and welcomed with open and grateful arms.

I soon discover that my potential couch surfing host will be my couch surfing host and he asks me to meet him at his place; thankfully I accept and move just a few blocks away to his house. I am greeted with zeal by Tim and another friend Shelly who are in an excited uproar about putting on the biggest festival ever to be hosted in Sedona. Its an high yet intimidating vibe as it seems a bit out of control; not completely uncommon as couch surfing goes and I am all around just stoked to be in such a positive place with people who are smiling at me, hugging me, and inviting me to partake in all and everything that's going on in their lives. Tim shows me his Sound Lounge (which reminds me of a very special place back in Grants Pass), which essentially is a long lounge chair that you go into sensory deprivation in while listening to some epic beats that move not just into your eardrums, but throughout the entire chair and thus your whole body. The latest product that EVERYONE NEEDS; and I can attest to it. Definitely one of the very best musical experiences I have had.

That was just Day 1 in Sedona; of now 2 months I have been here, gone through 3 different jobs, half a dozen living situations and still not enough money to leave this place or do much of anything but commit. I have run out of time to write for today; this place has a way of making you do what it wants, so I must commit and share more of this experience if/when I can.

Think positive and/or constructive thoughts for me; we've been doing great so far and I'm grateful for all that I know and do not know to have transpired. All the Love